Located at the
north side of the Plaza de Armas, the actual construction was built over one of the
most important Inka temples built in honour of the God Wiracocha; this
construction was started in 1566 and completed
in 1669. The construction platform has the shape of a latin
cross. Here you find
a great artistic treasure, with paintings of great painters such as Marcos Zapata,
Rafael de Urbina and Melchor Huamán,as well as a great variety of styles:Baroque, Rococo, Churrigeresco, etc.
Catedral del Cusco
Located at Plazalota de San Blas. It was one of the first parish churches built in
Cusco under the order of Viceroy Francisco Toledo. The first construction was destroyed in
1650 by an earthquake. The present church
is a reconstruction, The platform has the shape of a latin cross as well.
In the church
you can find art works of Juan Espinoza Medrano and the marvelllous pulpit of San Blas
which was engraved by Juan Tomás
Tuyru Túpac Inga being the ideal author for this piece with barroc style;
Master Juan Luis Montes.
SANTO DOMINGO OR
Located in plazoleta Santo
Domingo. Called Inti Kancha in Inka times, it was the main
temple of the Quechuas in the Valley of Cusco. This temple was dedicated to
the Agriculture Gods. The
first building collapsed in 1650 by an earthquake and after two years it was
The actual church has three
towers and a platform with a Greek cross shape, the front view is
catalogued as Baroque style with a Churrigeresco tendency .
which are located in the first tower correspond to the life and miracles of
Santo Domingo de Guzmán and were painted by the master José Espinoza, you
will also find art work that belongs to Diego Quispe Ttito, Lázaro Pardo del Lago,
Pedro Santangel and Marcos Zapata.
Located in Plaza San Francisco.
In 1538 the order of San
Francisco funded their temple on the place known as Kasana, which corresponded
to the families of Pizarro y Sillerico, a few years later they expanded
their territory when they bought the Menesterosos of San Lázaro Hospital.
In 1650 it
collapsed and was rebuilt by the mestizos, the actual church has a platform
that looks like a latin Cross, its front view has a plateresco style and the
tower has many roman particularities.
church you can find artwork that belong to Juan Espinoza de los Monteros, Diego Quispe
Ttito, Basilio Pacheco, Marcos Villena, Marco Serrano, Basilio Santa Cruz and
others. This work belongs
to the Cusqueña School of Art, with tenebrista style, the portraits belong
to the work of Oquendo and Pancorbo and they're mostly barroque.
Located at Plazoleta Espinar.
the convent of la
Merced was funded in 1536 by Fray Pedro Trujillo y Castañeda, this
church suffered a lot after the earthquake of 1650, it was rebuilt after a
process of 15 to 20 years. The church is classified in:
* The convent ,
which used two have four areas and one of them has been converted in La Merced
* The church is
divided in two parts, one high and one is low, It has a platform
like a greek cross.
* The Bell
tower has a particular barroque style..
* Inside the
temple we find a lot of art work which represents the life of Don pedro de Nolasco;
funder of the Mercedaria Order. This were made by Ignacio Chacón.
* Inside the
temple there are some buried people such as: Diego de Almagro, Gonzalo Pizarro;
and there is even a theory that awknowledges some rests of the Túpac Amaru
* In this
church we can find the famous "Custodia de la
Merced", made out of 24k gold and ornamented with over 1200 types of
CHURCH OF LA COMPAÑIA DE
Located on top
of the Wayna Cápac or Amaru Kancha temple. when the jesuits arrived, they chose
this place as the perfect spot to build their school and temple in this place.
The first construction was made by the General of the church, Francisco de Borja
in 1566, but in 1650 the church collapsed after a strong earthquake; the
second construction was finished in 1671 by Juan Bautista Gilles.
The whole church was built with
precious materials and ornamented with the best materials.
Located in one
of the Inka neighbourhoods called Ch'akillchaKa, on the west side of Cusco, in
1550 Spaniards decided to build a convent for mestizas. In 1650 this church
collapsed as many others did. It
was rebuilt and finished in 1715.
The image of
the church's mother, La Virgen de Belén, which was donated from Spain (as well as the image of Señor de los Temblores) , is one of the most luxurious
images ever seen, she's covered in jewels and her support is made out of
silver and precious stones.
PARROQUIA E IGLESIA DE SAN
It was called
San Lazaro until the earthquake in 1650.
It is located
on the Plaza of San Sebatián which is at 5 km from the city, this
church was built surounded by many archeological places.
the temple is divided
in three parts, the platform has a latin cross, the major altar has a
barroque style, the image of San Sebastián was made by Melchor Huamán Mayta
in 1673, here we found artwork of Diego Quispe Tito.
Built on the
left side of the Parque de la Madre and one block from the Plaza de Armas this
church belongs to the congregation of Carmelitas Descalzas. The area was
donated by Don Antonio de Zea in 1661, gentleman of the order of Santiago .
The church was finished in 1676, and it has paintings which represent the life
of Santa Teresa.
IGLESIA Y CONVENTO DE SANTA
Located in Santa Clara
St. at only 5 blocks from the Plaza. It was first funded in 1551. This was a
house that hosted the daughters of the Conquers. The major Altar was made by Pedro de
Oquendo and it's particular for having a grat collection of mirrors.
LA IGLESIA CONVENTO DE LA
It was built on
the Inka neighbourhood of Munaysenca (pretty nose), on the east of Cusco. It
was funded in 1599 by Padre Francisco de Velasco. The pictures inside were
painted in 1669 by Juan
Basilio Santa Cruz and they represent the life and miracles of San Francisco de Asis.
It also has the most beautiful expressions of "Cristo
pobre" a masterpiece of Natalicio Delgado.
IGLESIA DE SAN
Located in Qolqanpata,
built over one of the palaces of Manco Cápac in 1673 and it was a church only
for natives. It is a very simple church and its tower it's made out of stone.
PARROQUIA DE SANTA
It is located
in Carmenqa, nort-east from the plaza . This church is very peculiar and was
finished in 1559, this church was also destined to the natives. Here we can
find an enormous collection of paintings representing the Corpus Christi which
nowadays are in the Arte Religioso Museum, There are some images of El Señor del Cabildo, La Virgen Santa Ana,
and El Señor del Santo Sepulcro.
IGLESIA DE SAN
Funded on the
area of Waqoto south of Cusco around the period of the Viceroy Toledo ( 1572 ),it
used to be a very basic church only for farmers and natives.
IGLESIA DE SAN
begginning it was supose to be a hospital for natives. The church was built in
1556 by Juan Tomás Tuyru Túpac and it is located 6 blocks away from the Plaza de Armas.
This church as well as some others has some very important artwork, the pulpit
was made by Juan Tomas Tuyru Túpac in
1706 who also made the image of Virgen Purificada or de la Candelaria and the
image of Apóstol San Pedro.